The Westfield Area YMCA holds water safety clinics, Lifeguard Certification courses, and leadership training throughout the year. We educate families on pool policies but most importantly how to stay aware and prevent accidents.
Y Lifeguard Certification Course
Gain the knowledge, skills and certification to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer! This Course also includes the American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) Basic Life Support (BLS), First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen Administration Certification. Passing a free physical skills test by one week prior to course is required before registering for course. Contact Rob to schedule. 100% attendance is required. Must be at least 16 yrs. of age by the last day of the course. All fees are nonrefundable. Register at the Welcome Center. Questions? Contact Rob Faggiano.
Water Safety Tips
Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children ages 5-14. Here are some tips to ensure children are equipped with essential water safety skills for an enjoyable and safe experience.
- Never swim alone. Teach your children that they should only swim in locations where a lifeguard is on duty.
- Supervise your children whenever they’re in water. Whether it’s bath time or taking a dip in a pool or lake, make sure your children are within arm’s reach of you at all time.
- Don’t engage in breath holding activities. Children shouldn’t hold their breath for a prolonged amount of time while swimming, as this can cause drowning and has several other severe physical side-effects.
- Wear a Life Jacket: Inexperienced or non-swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Enroll your children in water safety or swim lessons. Just like teaching your children to look both ways before they cross the street, having them participate in swim lessons teaches them an important life skill. The Westfield Area YMCA teaches children how to swim and fundamental water safety skills.