Make a Splash
The Westfield Area Y is an official USA Swimming Foundation Make a Splash Local Partner!
The USA Swimming Foundation’s Make a Splash initiative is a national child-focused water safety campaign, which aims to provide the opportunity for every child in America to learn to swim.
Through Make a Splash, the USA Swimming Foundation partners with learn-to-swim providers and water safety advocates across the country to provide swimming lessons and educate children and their families on the importance of learning how to swim. The USA Swimming Foundation has invested millions of dollars to provide grants to qualified Local Partner learn-to-swim programs, to spread national awareness, and to bring together strategic partners to end drowning.
To date, more than 2 million children have received the lifesaving gift of swim lessons through the USA Swimming Foundation Make a Splash Local Partner network, comprised of more than 600 qualified lesson providers across the nation.
You never know which safety step will save a life — until it does.
STAY CLOSE, BE ALERT AND WATCH
- Always watch your children and never leave them unattended
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings
- Have a phone close by at all times
- If a child is missing, check the pool first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors
LEARN & PRACTICE WATER SAFETY SKILLS
- Learn to swim
- Know how to perform CPR on children and adults
- Understand the basics of life saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency
HAVE THE APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT
- Install a fence around the perimeter of the pool and spa of at least four feet in height
- Use self-closing and self-latching gates
- Ensure all pools and spas have compliant drain covers- Install a door alarm from the house to the pool area
- Maintain pool and spa covers in working order
- Have life-saving equipment such as life rings or reaching poles available for use
Visit poolsafely.gov for more information and resources.