What is more important than protecting our children? This child sexual abuse prevention training teaches you how to recognize, prevent and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. The Westfield Area Y, as part of the NJ YMCA State Alliance, has partnered with Darkness to Light to use the Stewards of Children curriculum to inform, and educate parents, and any adult, FREE of charge.
This training is appropriate for ANY adult that knows a child—whether the role is as a professional, coach, friend or family member.
Free In-Person Training: Members may register online. All other interested adults in the community please visit our Welcome Center or call 908-233-2700 to register.
Free Online Training:The 2-hour training is also available for free online.
Do you have an adult group (e.g., faith-based, coaches, community organization, parent group, employees) for whom you would like to arrange a training? Contact: Susan Morton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 908-654-8460.
This 2-minute video is an overview of Stewards of Children.
Did You Know?
It is highly likely that you know a child who has been or is being abused:
- Experts estimate that 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday
- In 90% of cases, the child knows the abuser
- 40% of sexually abused children are abused by an older or larger child
- 42 million adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse are walking among us
- 5% of a community trained to be aware and responsive is the tipping point to make a positive change*
*Help us reach our goal to train 5% of the adults in our service area. Please encourage other individuals or groups to take this free training as well. We can each make a difference by learning how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. This will result in happier, healthier children and stronger communities.
(statistics provided by Darkness to Light)